Airbus sets new records in orders, deliveries and backlog
Market lead in widebody and single aisle aircraft
Blagnac, 13 January 2014
Airbus exceeded commercial targets in 2013, achieving a new record of 626 aircraft deliveries (493 A320 Family aircraft, 108 A330, 25 A380) to 93 customers (15 new) and a new industry record of 1619 gross orders (377 A320ceo, 876 A320neo, 77 A330, 239 A350 XWB, 50 A380) beating the previous record in 2011 by 11 aircraft. The year was also Airbus’ most valuable gross order intake (List price US$ 240.5 billion). By year end, the backlog had climbed to an industry wide record of 5,559 aircraft, valued at US$ 809 billion at list prices, or eight years production.
Aircraft deliveries in 2013 were up for the 12th year in a row, beating the initial target and surpassing the previous record set in 2012 (588) by an additional 38 aircraft.
At 2013 year end, Airbus commanded 51 per cent gross market share (aircraft above 100 seats). Decisions by customers to move towards larger aircraft in all segments (A321, A330-300, A350-1000 and A380) is having a positive result on revenues, complementing Airbus’ lead in both single aisle and widebody aircraft markets.
During the year the A320neo surpassed 2,600 orders while strong sales of the A320ceo continued with more than 1,000 sold since the NEO was launched. The A350 XWB had significant commercial breakthroughs especially with a first order from Japan, and the A380 coninued to dominate the Very Large Aircraft market with 50 new orders.
Signalling Airbus’ successful transformation to a more agile company, 2013 was also notable for the A350 XWB first flight. Test flights are progressing well with two aircraft having accomplished over 800 flight hours. Certification is targeted for Q3 and Entry Into Service for Q4 2014. The A330 new longer range and regional variants were launched, A330 production reached a new record high of rate 10 per month and single aisle remained stable at rate 42.
In 2013, Airbus Military delivered 31 aircraft including seven A330 MRTT and two A400M for the French Air Force, confirming the programme is well back on track.
Airbus hired some 3,000 people in 2013.
“I thank the Airbus teams for these great achievements. The transformation of our company into a simpler, more agile and faster one is clearly taking shape. We are producing aircraft at all-time-highs and selling our market leading products at record levels,” said Fabrice Bregier, Airbus President and CEO. “These benchmark results are feeding nicely into our profitability targets, and I am proud to report that the trajectory is showing strongly upwards. To expand our leadership in single aisles and widebodies, 2014 will be significant with the first flight of the A320neo and the Entry Into Service of the A350 XWB.”
Airbus contacts for the media:
|Stefan Schaffrath:||+33 6 16 09 55 92|
|Justin Dubon:||+33 6 74 97 49 51|
|Jacques Rocca:||+33 6 07 91 03 29|
Airbus 2013 highlights: Click on below links to access the full release . . .
- Emirates orders 50 A380s: 23rd Dec
- Philippine Airline and Airbus Corporate Foundation humanitarian flight: 10th Dec
- Airbus Bag2Go smart bag: 10th Dec
- Airbus, easyJet and Nicarnica Aviation successfully test AVOID sensor concept: 13th Nov
- A320neo programme starts first major-component assembly: 8th November
- Airbus launches Sharklet retrofit for in-service A320 Family aircraft: 29th Oct
- Airbus call for 18 inch seat standard on full service flights: 28th Oct
- JetBlue orders 10,000th Airbus A320: 24th Oct
- VivaAerobus places Latin America’s biggest Airbus aircraft order: 21st Oct
- Japan Airlines order 31 A350s: 7th Oct
- A330 Regional launch: 25th Sept
- 2013 Global Market Forecast: 24th Sept
- Airbus and China to collaborate on Air Traffic Management: 4th Sept
- Delta Air Lines returns to Airbus with order for 40 aircraft: 4th Sept
- Airbus Corporate Foundation and Red Cross aid to Syria: 20th Aug
- Airbus delivers 1,000th A330: 10th July
- British Airways takes delivery of its first A380: 4th July
- Air France-KLM order A350: 19th June
- SIA finalises order for up to 50 more A350s: 19th June
- Lufthansa firms up order for 100 A320 Family aircraft: 17th June
- DORIC commits for 20 A380s: 17th June
- A350 completes first flight: 14th June
- Sau Paulo University wins Fly Your Ideas competition: 14th June
- US Assembly line construction begins: 8th April
- American selects Airbus' ROPS technology for A320 Family: 20th March
- Lion Air orders 234 A320 Family: 14th March
- Turkish selects up to 117 A320 Family aircraft: 15th March
- Airbus delivers 100th aircraft in Japan: 15th March
- Singapore Airlines firms up order for more A380s and A350 XWBs: 11th Jan